On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 05:49:17PM -0500, Chris Siebenmann wrote:
> | On 30 January 2012 21:28, Chris Siebenmann <c...@cs.toronto.edu> wrote:
> | > ??Does anyone know if there exists a good command line tool for
> | > listing either the window IDs or the window names of all windows
> | > of a specific class (or better yet, set of classes)? Or is this
> | > something that's better done with an fvwm module written in Perl
> | > with fvwm-perllib[*]?
> |
> | xwininfo
> | xprop

>  At this point it might be useful to explain my overall motivation: I
> want to put together something that lets me select xterm windows from
> the keyboard based on their name, with name completion. My current plan
> is to use dmenu for the window name completion (and a script around it
> to then act on the window). But for this I need to feed the window names
> into dmenu[*].

I think wmctrl might help.  It doesn't come standard with X but you
should be able to install it as a separate package.

The command "wmctrl -l -x" will list all the windows managed by the
window manager, and include their WM_CLASS classes.  You could then
grep on the required classes and get the window names.

A bit of playing around got me this command line:

wmctrl -l -x | grep -i rxvt | cut -b47-

(note that I'm using rxvt rather than xterm for my terminals)

K.A.
--
 _--_|\     | Kathryn Andersen  <http://www.katspace.org>