| what patches do you write which you maintain then?

 At the moment the only meaningful patch I've made to fvwm is one to
position new icons at the mouse cursor instead of where they normally go
(I think the window's top left if you don't have an iconbox set up, but
I forget). In the past I had more modifications but they've gradually
become unnecessary over the years[*].

(People tried to help me with a Style-based approach to doing this
icon positioning, but I never could get it working completely (the
comments in my fvwmrc suggest that I couldn't get positioning of windows
with explicit icon position hints correct). So at some point I punted
and went for the code change as the easiest approach for getting my
personal environment working.  Have chainsaw, can blindly hack code I
run myself. There's a discussion of this in the fvwm archives from a
year or two ago.)

        - cks
[*: for example, one large one was to make windows placed by button 3
    automatically grow to the bottom of the screen. When I migrated to
    fvwm 2.5.x, I believe the mailing list showed me how do this with
    existing fvwm features.]