Firstly I make some explanation. Next I ask questions. Sorry for long text ((

I have:

  SetVar VAR VAL

in my .fvwmrc but this is not good to export them to other processes (this
happen when I call application from Fvwm menu).

Page:

  http://fvwmwiki.xteddy.org/IRC/HashFvwm/

say:

  This Thomas Adam guy - what does he mean when he says: "it's bad to pollute
  the environment?"

That's cool to see that problem discussed but link from:

  For more specific instances, please see:
  http://fvwm.lair.be/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1505

no longer available...

I expect to hear about FvwmCpp and FvwmM4 but:

  site:fvwmwiki.xteddy.org FvwmCpp FvwmM4

take no results. Also reading of

  site:.fvwm.org FvwmCpp FvwmM4
  site:.fvwmforums.org FvwmCpp FvwmM4

didn't show any appropriate. Only suggestions to use FvwmCpp FvwmM4 for
preprocessing.

So I decide make this by own. Firstly I try compare syntax power and
limitation of FvwmCpp and FvwmM4.

I surprised by man pages text:

  FvwmM4 defines some values for use in the pre-processor file...
  FvwmCpp defines some values for use in the pre-processor file...

I execute in FvwmConsole:

  ModuleSynchronous FvwmCpp -lock /home/user/tmp/my.fvwmrc

where my.fvwmrc is:

  Echo HOME

and get in ~/.xsession-errors:

  [fvwm][Echo]: /home/user

Cpp does not provide a way to escape these macro.

With Cpp you cant substitution in quotes (I have one such usage in .fvwmrc):

  Exec exec prog "... VAR ..."

At all cpp limited in syntax power so I decide use M4.

With M4 you have more power, but strange syntax for quoting:

  define(`one',1)dnl
  define(`two',2)dnl
  dnl to get prefix12 you must do so:
  `prefix'one()two

and I use back quote in some shell code. To resolve this issue I can use:

  changequote(`<--', `-->')

command to change quoting style...

Where I can read about FvwmCpp and FvwmM4 best practice?

Can any give me link to profile that using Cpp/M4?

Google "inurl:" does not work now (I try add "config" and "fvwmrc")...

--
Best regards!