In message <20190608115819.sbfwisfzxd4xxecg@laptop.local>,
Thomas Adam <tho...@fvwm.org> wrote:

>On Fri, Jun 07, 2019 at 10:31:56PM -0700, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>> 1)
>>
>> First, under fvwm, some certain applications, specifically evince and
>> the chromium browser, display with any of the usual outer framing that
>> fvwm seems to provide for all other X application programs, e.g. Xterm,
>> xpdf, and the Firefox and Oprera browsers.
>
>Chromium has an option to disable this.

Yes.  Thanks.

>As for evince and others, this is due to CSD (Client-side Decorations).
>There's no proper way around this other than to use a patched gtk which uses
>LD_PRELOAD to override this behaviour.
>
>Have a look at gtk3-nocsd (https://github.com/PCMan/gtk3-nocsd).  I've just
>checekd my FreeBSD machine -- it's not packaged.

Oh, vey!  I'm reading the README file, which is about as much as I am
likely to do.

Even just from the README file I can see that this is a seriously messed
up situation.

Maybe the GTK folks should have checked with a few more people before
going of on their own private tangent.

Fortunately, in my case, evince seems to be the one and only tool that
I'm likely to use that has this issue.  So I guess I'll just learn to
live with it in that one case.