On 03 Oct 2002 15:45:36 +1000, Felix Karpfen wrote:

> Dan Espen wrote:
> > Felix Karpfen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > >
> > > The (m by n) size (i.e. number of pages) of the virtual desktops can
> > >        be changed any time, by **using the DeskTopSize built-in command.**
> >
> > Do you think it would be clearer if it just said:
> >
> > "using the DeskTopSize command."
>
> If I had searched for "DeskTopSize" rather than for "built­in command" I
> would have got from line 152 to line 4162 of the man page in two jumps.
>
> However, the information presented still fails to address my real
> problem.

If your problem is to change the desktop size, just run in FvwmConsole:

  DeskTopSize 4x2

like suggested in the man page.

> It points out that I should now be using the "GotoDesk"
> command.  And the "GotoDesk" command advises:
>
>  GotoDesk prev | arg1 [ arg2 ] [ min max ]
>             Switches the current viewport to another desktop (workspace, room).
>
> Which still does not tell me how to **run** the command.

GotoDesk is just another command. Did you try in FvwmConsole to run:

  GotoDesk prev         # return to the previous desk
  GotoDesk 1            # goto the next desk   (-1 would mean previous)
  GotoDesk 0 1          # goto the next desk   (-1 would mean previous)
  GotoDesk 1 0 3        # cicle from desk 0 to desk 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 0

I think the man page describes this although without examples.

But it seems you use fvwm-themes. If yes, there are 2 solutions to change
the desktop size. Choose another "modules" component, for example the one
in the Luthien theme uses four pages 2x2, the Default theme uses 3x3 pages.
Or you may create ~/.fvwm/themes/personal/modules-extra file and place one
line in it "DeskTopSize 3x2". Then refresh themes and load this new
modules-extra component from menus.

Also at any time press Shift-Ctrl-Mouse2 to get a transient multi-desk
pager in fvwm-themes if you are lost in desks and pages.
If you do use fvwm-themes, consider to ask on its own mailing list.

Regards,
Mikhael.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL: http://www.fvwm.org/>.