On 11 Sep 2005 11:28:39 +0200, Lukas Ruf wrote:

> I am running fvwm happily with a resolution of 1400x1050 at 24bit
> color depth with two desks and four screens per desk.  Instead of the
> gray background I like to have photographs with [EMAIL PROTECTED]  A
> friend of mine told me recently that this would be a waste of memory.
> Therefore, I wonder if any of you can tell me how fvwm handles the
> memory consumption for background images.
>
> Assuming the straightforward way, a complete copy of the background
> image per screen, in my case, this would consume:
>     1400 x 1050 x 3 x 8 = 32MB
> Or does fvwm handle background images differently?
>
> Moreover, I assume there is no difference between memory consumption
> of personal background images vs. uniform colorized backgrounds,
> right?

This depends on whether you use colorsets or set the background using
external utility. In the last case, it is possible that only the video
memory is used (but this depends on X). If you use colorsets, then
different options cause different memory usage.

Why not you use ps/top to missure the memory usage with setting the
background and without it?

Regards,
Mikhael.