I am running gnome-panel from within fvwm, and recently upgraded to the newest version of gnome-panel. When I maximize windows now, they do not fill the screen as they used to, instead only that part of the screen not taken by the panel. The new gnome panel is sending window hints (more like commands than hints!) that the old one did not. How can I override this so that windows cover up the panel when they are maximized, or otherwise invoked?

thanks--Jim