Having recently moved from Alpha to SuSE Linux (using fvwm as window
manager, but kdm to start X as default with SuSE [9.2]) I've noticed a
funny behaviour in some applications :

(1) RSI IDL plot windows seems not to have any backing store. When they
    are obscured I lose the obscured part, when I move them to another
    dekstop page I lose all.

    (on Alpha they used to behave like that only after several days the
    server was running, like it had exhausted backing store memory)

    NB xwininfo returns
    Backing Store State:  Always
    Save Under State: no

(2) a small application of mine (Fortran wrapped around C Xlib calls)
    has a similar behaviour (on Alpha it did work). Windows are created
    with

     flag=CWBitGravity|CWWinGravity|CWBackingStore;
     XChangeWindowAttributes(dpy,win,flag,&attrib);

(3) the Hessling editor (the) in Xcurses mode sometimes presents a
    problem (when I do a large mouse cut-an-paste it hangs, and then if I
    obscure part of the edit window it remains white and deprived of
    textual content).

    This behaviour occurred also (more frequently) on Alpha and is
    possibly unrelated with the other two (looks more an overflow of
    the clipboard)

    Anyhow xthe windows return to xwininfo

    Backing Store State: NotUseful
    Save Under State: no

    which is also what xterm or rxvt do (and they work)

Now I wonder whether this has anything to do with fvwm or with the X
server. I tried adding this to my .fvwmrc, but with no effect

Style * BackingStore
Style * SaveUnder

I have no idea of how to check whether backing store is enabled in the X
server. It looks like the server runs as

/usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp -br vt7 -auth blabla

but some of those options are undocumented in the X man page (and it does
not mention backing store).

Any clue ?