On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:

On 10 Jan 2006 23:03:07 -0500, Nathaniel H. Stickney wrote:

1) "Style * GrabFocusOff" does not seem to prevent Gaim from grabbing
focus, unsure about other applications.  I have tried just "GrabFocusOff"
and also "Style "*" GrabFocusOff" to no avail.

I can't reproduce this with Gaim 1.3.1. What is exactly the problem?

!GrabFocus is the default, so "Style * GrabFocusOff" will not normally
change things. You would possibly need "Style Gaim !GrabFocusTransient",
but gaim does not use transient windows (my version at least).

Do you mean the "Raise window on events" option in Preferences, or maybe
auto-raising/focusing the chat window when double clicking a buddy item?

To prevent the last one, use "Style Gaim !FPFocusByFunction" in 2.5.x.

Does the conversation window get focused, is raised and have the pointer moved to it when you recive a new message?

In that case check if you are using the Message Notififier, and if it is set to set the "URGENT" hint. If you want custom message notification for gaim you may modify the UrgencyFunc in fvwm to do something else in case of the window being gaim. The trailing functions make gaim shake from side to side when the urgency hint is set. (If you use it you will want to make sure that gaim clears the urgency hint on focus.) I'm not using this myself, since I find it still too annoying. I really want a way to make gaim windows stand out in the pager. One thing that would be cool is if it would be possible to change the colorset a window use in the pager, or have it flash between two colorsets, but I don't think there is any support for that in the pager. The shaking window does show in the pager if the amplitude is high ennough compared to the pager scale, but I only tested it for a while before deciding I didn't like it. Right now I just use a different decor for all windows using the urgent hint. (I still have to come across any program but gaim that uses it.)

/Viktor

DestroyFunc Shake
AddToFunc Shake
+ I Move w$2$0p w$2$1p
+ I Move w$2$0p w$2$1p
+ I State 31
+ I Schedule $4 $[w.id] Function Shake $0 $1 $3 $2 $4

DestroyFunc StartShake
AddToFunc StartShake
+ I State 31 off
+ I Move w-$0p w-$1p
+ I Schedule $2 $[w.id] Function Shake $0 $1 + - $2

DestroyFunc StopShake
AddToFunc StopShake
+ I ThisWindow (State 31) Move w-$0p w-$1p
+ I TestRc (!Match) Move w+$0p w+$1p
+ I State 31 off
+ I Deschedule $[w.id]

DestroyFunc UrgencyFunc
AddToFunc UrgencyFunc
 + I ThisWindow (Gaim) StartShake 5 0 100
 + I TestRc (Match) Break
 + I Iconify off
 + I FlipFocus
 + I Raise