On 09:31 Thu 02 Feb     , Chris Green wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 10:06:09AM +0100, Bert 'theBlackDragon' Geens wrote:
> > Regarding the idea of a mailinglist gateway to the forum (or from the
> > forum, it's just how you look at it) it has been suggested before and
> > it is indeed possible, I've just not had the time to look into it,
> > this semester has been excessively heavy but I should have more time
> > soon so I can play with it on a testserver to see how it turns out.
> >
> That to my mind is the ideal solution, the best of both worlds.

Hmmm... I'm not sure I agree.

Firstly I think moving to a forum would be a bad idea. Forums (IMH)
encourage a style of discourse with a higher signal-to-noise ratio
than mailing lists - possibly because it takes a little more effort to
subscribe to and monitor a mailing list than it does to post to a forum.
The barrier to entry is a little higher, and for a serious list like this
one, I think that is to the good.

Secondly, we're not losing anything by having two separate avenues
of discussion. There are enough people that read both that anything
important on one will be brought to the attention of the other.

Thirdly, we _are_ going to lose out by moving to a forum, simply because
some people, as has been stated will cease their participation in the event of
such a move. So to that extent we have much to lose and nothing to gain.
Granted, the mail gateway will reduce the scale of the problem, but I still
feel we'll see more noise on a forum-ised list.

Lastly, I don't agree that the interface is better per se. That's very much
a judgement call, and we should remember that a lot of FVWM's userbase
are Old Skool types like myself who are quite happy reading with Mutt
or mailx. I personally find it much more time consuming to monitor the
FvwmForum than I do to skim the mailing list each morning.

I think the best of both worlds is what we have right now. Two discussions,
two groups with a common subset, and a different style and tone of discourse
in both.

Anyway, that's my 2 hap'orth on the subject.

Nick
--
Don't let THEM immanentize the Eschaton!