I have been away for some weeks, but now I'm trying to solve my problem of
acroread invoked by a link in firefox (the acroread window is lowered
under the browser window)

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, Thomas Adam wrote:

> > What happens is that, when I click on the pdf URL, firefox first
> > correctly displays the "Opening something.pdf" transient window, then
>
> Odd.  I downloaded Acroreader to see if I could reproduce this.  I
> can't.  Indeed, using Firefox (1.0.7) just starts Acroread externally
> without any intermediary transient window.

I use firefox version bundled with Suse 9.2
firefox -version answers 0.10.
firefox about windows says
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040913 Firefox/0.10

Anyhow the presence of the transient window might depend on user
preferences. If one'd ever ticked on "always use this application for this
type of files" I guess one won't see the transient window.

But since the firefox mechanism of keeping track of "helper applications"
vs mime types is much poorer than the old one used by netscape, and since
in particular with PDF I'd often want to switch between save-to-disk and
visualize, I've never ticked on this.

> Which version of FVWM are you running?

lucio 2 > fvwm -V
fvwm 2.5.10 compiled on Oct  4 2004 at 19:34:01
with support for: ReadLine, Stroke, XPM, PNG, Shape, XShm, SM, Bidi text,
Xinerama, XRender, XFT, NLS

> Does:
> Style Acroread StartsRaised
> help any?

> That style line is now incorrect.  With the version of Acroreader I have
> here (7.0.5), the Class of the window is 'Acroread'.  (Case is important).

I know case is important, but is there an easy utility to know the class
name of an X application (I usually try xwininfo or editres but with no
avail) ? And why do they change #$%%#$ !?

My (Suse-bundled) acrobat is 5.0.9 if that makes any difference

I believe "AcroRead" is applicable to me.

Style   "AcroRead"      StartsRaised, StaysOnTop
seems to work (but is too much ... I do not want it to stay on top
forever, just not to disappear too soon

As I said in the original post, StartsRaised alone either does not work or
works for the first time only then it looks like acroread remembers the
old stacking position.

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006, Dominik Vogt wrote:

> > > Does this help:
> > >   Style * !RaiseTransient, !LowerTransient, !StackTransientParent
> >
> > Unfortunately not.
>
> Hm, since you did not say which fvwm version you have the correct
> stylenames may be
>   Style * DontRaiseTransient,DontLowerTransient,DontStackTransientParent

see part of reply above for version. According to manpage the "Dont" form
should be applicable to me, Anyhow it has no effect.

> Firefox or acroread may use different methods to raise their
> windows.  Please try all of the following lines one by after the
> other in the config file. [...omissis...]

will do it soon, but before I'd like an opinion based on your other
comment (here below)

> (and make sure you don't have FvwmAuto or FvwmEvent running and
> raising windows).

unfortunately I have just that !

Module FvwmAuto 500 in the InitFunction and RestartFunction (according to
an old note which says "they are required for AutoRaise to work)

and I have Module FvwmEvent Event-FF  in InitFunction  which is related to
a piece of code specific of firefox (to force its window to preserve
position)

DestroyModuleConfig Event-FF: *

*Event-FF: Cmd Function
*Event-FF: PassId
*Event-FF: add_window ResizeFireFox

DestroyFunc ResizeFireFox
AddToFunc   ResizeFireFox
 + "I" ThisWindow ("Gecko" !Transient) Resize 707p 980p

Is this containing something radically wrong ?