Hi,

I have an FVWM-related problem which is probably not FVWM's
problem; but perhaps someone's had a similar experience.

If you install FVWM on a Ubuntu system and you log in and out of an
FVWM session from GDM, the next time you log into GNOME gnome-panel
won't start; a window comes up which says that gnome-panel is
alrady running and it will now exit.  The panels don't work and all
the applets die, so you basically cannot do anything.  It does not
help if you kill gnome-panel from the console (or other
Gnome-related applications), and it does not help if you reboot the
system and try logging into Gnome again.  It seems that Gnome and
FVWM cannot co-exist on a Ubuntu system.  The only way Gnome will
work is if you log into a "failsafe xterm" session, and start
gnome-session from an xterm.

This has now happened to me three times, on two different computers,
both with Ubuntu Breezy and Dapper, and just after installation too.
I have no idea what the problem might be and where to look for a
solution.  The version of FVWM is 2.5.14 from the Ubuntu repositories.

Best,
Greg