On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, Chris G wrote:

> I'm running fvwm2 as my wm on two fedora 7 installations.
>
> What would be the advantages (if any) of changing the runlevel to 5
> and getting the (default) gnome desktop to run fvmw2 as its window
> manager?

I am not familiar at all with fedora and gnome, I use suse (whose default
is kde) with fvwm. And start it from kdm,

When I first moved to such environment I did some experimenting (I created
from scratch separate accounts for kdeuser, wmuser, fvwmuser and logged in
as each one of them selecting from the KDM login one of the window
managers offered, to see what files were created in home ... then I
modified the various .login and .cshrc to print to a file a trace of the
situation at their start and end ... by trace I mean a dump of
"set","printenv" and "ps", the latter with appropriate switches). This way
I was able to see the transient processes which disappear after starting
other processes, or which transform in other processes via exec.

The sequence for fvwm started by kdm seems pretty lightweight, A
ps -A -H -o ppid,pid,user,command --sort=ppid,pid,user shows at the
end the following surviving chain

/opt/kde3/bin/kdm
 /usr/X11R6/bin/X ...
  -:0
   /usr/bin/X11/fvwm
    ssh-agent /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
    each of the applications started in .fvwm

There is no leftover at all of the kde desktop. There are occasionally
some kde related processes when I use some "k" applications under fvmw
(essentially kdiff3 or some system administration tool).

This way I diverge from the local standard, but not much.

/\                          http://arc.pasp.de/