> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 09:06:42PM +0100, John Latham wrote:
> > Thomas: I use FvwmCommand alot. E.g. in my pdf lecture slides I can click
> > on a
> > `button' which invokes a shell script, that uses FvwmCommand to change
> > desktop, sets up windows for a demo; waits for those windows to be closed
> > and
> > uses FvwmCommand again to put me back on the desk where acroread is running.
>
> Oh, and out of curiosity, I wonder why you're using FvwmCommand here for
> this, when I bet I could write something using FvwmEvent and PipeRead,
> depending on what it actually does...
>
> FvwmCommand's use should actually be very very specific -- and using it to
> communicate with FVWM when you're already inside FVWM is batty; it's like us
> having a conversation face-to-face with one another via a page-boy in the
> room.

Love the analogy!

>  So I'd be interested to see how you're using it, and how I can
> suggest a cleaner way.

I should have made it clearer, sorry. In my example above, the `button' I
click on is part of the pdf document I'm using as a lecture/presentation via
acroread in fullscreen mode. So, in effect, I'm getting acroread to change
desktop for me. (The button is sourced as a LaTeX shadowbox around a href to
the shell script.)

> -- Thomas Adam

Thanks, John