> benefit:
>   - no problem if one node fails (transparent failover)
>   - updates / maintainance without outages
>   - updates / maintainance during working hours (because
> there is no outage)

On paper, maybe; in the real world, not so much. The transparency of failover
depends on:

1) the accuracy of the state table between cluster members

Checkpoint software updates are troublesome here because state is frequently
not exchanged between members running different software versions (more so for
major version upgrades; less so for HFAs, but I've seen this happen with HFAs
also). Update your backup member, and reboot, and you'll often find that on
promotion to active, no state has been exchanged, and all active connections
break. In my experience, zero-downtime upgrades are largely a myth.

2) whether a given protocol is state synchronized at all

HTTP for example, is often not state synchronized because of the high rate of
very brief connections, and the overall fault tolerance of the protocol. But if
it's not synchronized, some longer term HTTP connections like an HTTP file
transfer will break on failover.

3) how tolerant particular applications are of the brief period before a backup
member becomes active.

Not all apps handle 15 seconds of network downtime as well as others. We have a
couple high profile niche apps that simply hang on firewall failover. This
requires either restarting the application's service, or rebooting the server.
Since these are public safety-related, the impact is significant.

Because we've been bit by these issues more than once, we no longer perform any
upgrades during business hours.

Dan Lynch, CISSP
Information Technology Analyst
County of Placer