> One such area is unit testing; it's far easier to test a plain old PHP

object than it is to test something that has couplings to the database

-- which is what happens when your entities extend from a base class.

This.

Also because Doctrine is established, has many users and wide acceptance,
the backing of a company, and a compatible license.  We currently use it
where I work, and while I have many issues with it, 2.0 will probably fix
most of them.

(I probably won't get a chance to use it, however; we're switching to Java
EE for technical and staffing reasons.)

-Matt