It does look like Magento after being handed over to ebay some higher
level management guys got a bit over their head.I think its gonna take
quite sometime before magento 2 get released.....I am Magento Developer
and I know there are no pretty straight forward upgrade
procedures....Just dont think about it go for latest release 1.8.x.x and
future will tell :-)

On 01/29/2014 10:54 AM, AhsanParwez wrote:
> Hi, everyone, I am new here to the forum. I need some advice from the
> community , I am going to develop a new online store based on Magento, after
> reading a few articles online I came to know that Magento 2.0 was to be
> released in year 2011 and still it isn't released. Is it worth the wait for
> version 2.0 or should I go ahead with Magento 1.8 ? I hope in future there
> is no problem in upgrading from version 1.8 to 2.0.
>
> Thanks

Extra details:
OSS:Gentoo Linux
profile:x86