On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 06:30:11AM -0700, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Andrew> Now, I have from the original source that a JAPH purist should
> Andrew> terminate it with a comma, and not a new line. :-)
>
> I've *always* claimed that.  :-)
>
> The nice thing is that it's also 25 characters long, and some of my
> early JAPHs did nice 5x5 rotations and transformations based on that.

Replacing a comma with a newline doesn't change the number of characters.

Using a comma and a newline gives you 26 characters, which is interesting
because there are 26 characters in the alphabet.

Being the one who has given several talks about Japhs, I've decreed
that a Japh uses the following rules:

   - It prints "Just another Perl Hacker" with some reasonable
     captalization, followed by optional punctuation (comma,
     dot) followed by an optional newline. Some flexibility
     in rules makes for more Japhs. Printing to either STDOUT
     or STDERR is allowed.
   - It doesn't print anything else.
   - The program uses at most 4 lines, each line at most 80 characters.
   - It uses obscure or surprising syntax.

Abigail