I think the golfers among us should pool our efforts (after the rowdy,
cut-throat competition ends, of course!) to amass a list of common -- or
would that be uncommon? -- golfing techniques.  While participating in a
round on PerlMonks.org, I used

  rand>$f?Y:X

instead of the error-producing

  rand<$f?X:Y

which must be rewritten as

  rand()<$f?X:Y

So I save two characters.  Of course, the command-line options come into
play and all.

I'd appreciate it if all the contestants of this competition showed what
drivers, putters, and wedges they used to squeeze every last yard out of
Perl.  I've got a trick or two up my sleeve.

--
Jeff "japhy" Pinyan      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.pobox.com/~japhy/
RPI Acacia brother #734   http://www.perlmonks.org/   http://www.cpan.org/