Scot et al,

Just a point if clarification. The code we're supposed to golf must be
funcationally equivalent to:

    if( $a ) {
        $a = 0;
        do_something();
    }

    ## and now $a is false

Where were we told the do_something couldn't mess with $a? In which case
Ala's solution

        $a&&do_something();$a=0

is the only one so far that works for all "do_something()"'s

Scot. Is $a guaranteed to be untouched?

Alistair
> Alistair McGlinchy,           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Sizing and Performance, Central IT,   ext. 5012,   ph +44 20 7268-5012
> Marks and Spencer, 3 Longwalk Rd, Stockley Park, Uxbridge UB11 1AW, UK

Registered Office:
Marks & Spencer p.l.c
Michael House, Baker Street,
London, W1U 8EP
Registered No. 214436 in England and Wales.

Telephone (020) 7935 4422
Facsimile (020) 7487 2670

www.marksandspencer.com

This e-mail is confidential. If you received it by mistake, please let us know and
then delete it from your system; you should not copy, disclose, or distribute its
contents to anyone nor act in reliance on this e-mail, as this is prohibited and may
be unlawful.

The registered office of Marks and Spencer Financial Services Limited, Marks and
Spencer Unit Trust Management Limited, Marks and Spencer Life Assurance Limited and
Marks and Spencer Savings and Investments Limited is Kings Meadow, Chester, CH99 9FB.