On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 13:34:40 -0000
"Pense, Joachim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Bart Lateur [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> (Mittwoch, 20. November 2002 11:43)
>
> >On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 04:10:02 -0600, Steven Lembark wrote:
> >
> >>sub commify
> >>{
> >>    my ( $max, $sep, $end ) = ( shift, shift, shift );
> >>}
> >
> >Wow! Hold it! Am I the only one who finds this absurd? More than one
> >shift on the same array in one single expressing, sounds like bad style
> >to me. Comments?
>
> In one of my programs, this would be
>
> sub commify {
>     my $max = shift;
>     my $sep = shift;
>     my $end = shift;

> }

I use this form too. it is more explicit and gives nice way to comment:

sub commify {
     my $max = shift; # this is arg 1 blah
     my $sep = shift; # arg two blah
     my $end = shift; # arg III, actually takes hash reference to useless data :)

}

which is better than

  my ( $max,  # ala
       $sep,  # bala
       $end ) # nica
  = @_;

imo.

it is matter of taste of cource...

my ( ... ) = @_;

has the only advantage to be ~20% faster for large number of function call iterations.

finally:

sub nonsensessez
{
  my $s = $_[0];
  my $a = $_[1];
  my $k = $_[2];
  my $j = $_[3];
  my $l = $_[4];

  1;
}

combines the best from both forms above ( i.e. cna be commented, clean and
approx. as fast as `my ( ... ) = @_' thing.

P! Vladi.

--
Vladi Belperchinov-Shabanski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Personal home page at http://www.biscom.net/~cade