On Sep 9, 2006, at 3:12 AM, A. Pagaltzis wrote:

* Chris Dolan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2006-09-09 03:55]:
Works the same. I often use `local $_` in tiny functions that
mangle just a single value. Matter of taste/style.

Ahh, I see -- cargo cult.  ;-)

Err, what? I chose that style for myself. I didn’t pick it up
from anyone else and certainly not unthinkingly.

I didn't mean that to be insulting -- I was just teasing. In fact I usually respect your contributions a lot, so I was curious why your style was different from mine and if there was a reason why yours might be better.

I just benchmarked the  two versions, and "my" wins by a wide
margin:

% perl test.pl
          Rate local    my
local 467290/s    --  -33%
my    699301/s   50%    --

I dunno if that was supposed to be an argument, but I couldn’t
care less. I hope I don’t have to explain why as well.

That was for my curiosity and to convince me, not to convince you. That's why I changed the subject line in the message. I apologize for my less-than-clear motives.

Chris

--
Chris Dolan, Software Developer, Clotho Advanced Media Inc.
608-294-7900, fax 294-7025, 1435 E Main St, Madison WI 53703

Clotho Advanced Media, Inc. - Creators of MediaLandscape Software (http://www.media-landscape.com/) and partners in the revolutionary Croquet project (http://www.opencroquet.org/)