On 07/25/2003, Richard Smykla apparently wrote:

>Michael,
>
>  Sounds like your PRAM battery needs replacing.

>>Hi,
>>Our iBook 700 running 9.2.2 has developed the strangest error. On
>>restart/boot, it gives a date & time error message at finder launch that
>>says the time zone is invalid. It also turns off Appletalk.
>>
>>Anyone heard of this before or know of a fix? I've searched but not found
>>anything.
>>Thanks!
>>Michael
However, I have had that problem without the PRAM battery needing
replacement. In my case, I had St. Louis listed as a city in my time
zone, which was one of the choices given in the Date and Time control
panel. This after a while, led to the "Time zone is invalid" message
(possibly connected to the Location Manager, since the error messages
began after I added some locations in it). After I changed the city in
Date & Time to Chicago, it went away. I think after I had (for other
reasons) to re-install my system, I was able to select the St. Louis in
D&Time again without getting the error message.

I found it puzzling that one selection from Apple's choices in Date &
Time gave me the error messages (for any period of time), but another
selection in that same list would not.

HTH,

Jim Rohde