Still wrestling with a troublesome graphite iBook SE (graphite) and battery,
OS X (the 10.2.8 rebuild) and/or System 9.

Here's the problem:

After charging the battery for about 10 minutes (adding about 1-3 percentage
points of additional charge), the laptop's power-ring turns from orange to
green and it won't charge any more -- unless I remove the battery and
reinsert it. Then, the process begins again, and I get another few
percentage points of power, but that's all.

I have tried what I believe to be all the standard remedies in various
combinations: Power Manager Reset, zapping PRAM (Command-Option-P-R as well
as Tech Tool), System 9 and OS X (the rebuild of 10.2.8), the Open Firmware
commands "RESET-NVRAM" and "RESET-ALL, Battery Amnesia software (under
System 9) ....

And yet the problem persists: Just a few percentage points of additional
juice per recharge-after-battery-removal-and-reinsertion.

Seems as if the battery itself is fine; it's less than a year old, and --
once I get it recharged using this clunky method -- it runs the computer
just fine, for a long period of time.

Theories or suggestions, anyone? Is it the iBook or the battery?

Thanks.

CM