On 11/6/03 4:39 AM, Gordon Bruce Lawson at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> I have just joined the board, and am a real newbie to portables (its
>> being shipped at the moment)...I have just purchased a G3 Lombard
>> (bronze), 333MHZ 320MB RAM - 6GB HD running OS X 10.2.8. Although I
>> use OSX on my 600 mhz imac, and am getting used to it (have to admit,
>> it is sometimes a struggle), i'm wondering if i should backtrack with
>> the powerbook and use only the old OS.(as in uninstall the OSX).
>> Understand the "bronze" wasn't loaded with X when produced and am
>> always leery of upgrading past a computers capabilities?
>> Any info would be appreciated.

Gordon, I wouldn't feel you have to backtrack if the Lombard under X
works and does what you need with your usual programs. I plan on
upgrading my Pismo (which came with 9.0.4 and now has 9.2.2 on it) to
Jaguar (or maybe Panther) as soon as I can. Often, Apple comes up with
improvements in later OS versions which run fine on older systems.
Another example - I also have the iMac (Rev. A), which came with 8.1, and
which now I have running 9.2.2. Now if I got the Harmoni upgrade with
faster processor and FireWire (plus a larger hard drive), I'd be looking
to put Jaguar on it, too.

So don't hold back from using newer OS versions on your Lombard. If it
works and runs quickly enough for your programs and needs, that's the
final test, right? :-)

HTH,

Jim Rohde

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." -- Bill Gates, 1981.