On 12/31/03 02:12:19 -0600, Greenfield Bowie wrote:

>1.  Energy saver control panel.  I've always set the sleep setting to
>"never" on my various PowerMacs, not wanting to cause problems with
>longer WWW downloads, etc., getting by with just a screen saver.  All
>that's changed now, particularly because of the occasional need to
>conserve battery power.  Is it still possible, or advisable to set
>the Energy saver control panel to "never?"

Main thing that comes to mind would be if you're doing an installation
which takes a while (like QuickTime where it downloads the parts needes
off Apple's site).

>2.  Since I notice now an additional trackpad control panel, is the
>mouse control panel still necessary, or should it be de-activated in
>extensions manager?
Depends on if you are likely to get a portable mouse to use. I have an
IBM optical mouse 2-button (which was under $20 because it had been
returned), and it works find with the USB Overdrive drivers). Some
programs might utilize Mouse CP setting, too, but I'll let others address
that...

HTH,

Jim Rohde

"That the PC world would doggedly stick to a dull, unimaginative,
clinical term like 'IEEE 1394' (notice how it just rolls off the tongue
- NOT) for the sole purpose of *saving a few pennies* over using an
imaginative, exciting, visually-stimulating term like 'FireWire' tells
you EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW about the PC world and that whole
industry-wide mindset." - Charles Martin