On Jan 20, 2004, at 6:03 PM, David George Hogg wrote:

Hi all,
I am considering buying a new G4 laptop, I am either going to get a used
TiBook G4 15.2" or a new iBook G4, could anyone with experience of either of
these machines provide me with some info. I know the iBook is faster but I
really like the look of the TiBook, and an AlBook is too $$$$ before anyone
asks.
David.

Have had a tiBook 667 for about 3 months and love it. Bought it refurbed from MacResQ for $1,299 (512 RAM, 30g hard drive, combo drive). Added an Airport card I already had (installation's pretty simple) that has a range as good as the Dell 80211.b card in my old Kanga.

Only complaints are that the paint does flake some, the trackpad was more erratic than I liked until somebody reminded me to reset the "ignore accidental trackpad input", and the keyboard layout is about 90 percent as good as I'd like it to be; it took a little getting used to but I've adjusted well. I also wish that it had at least a 5400 rpm hard drive instead of the 4200, and I'd prefer a SuperDrive instead of the combo but not for the amount of money it would cost. Also, I don't think iDVD will run on a 667, but since I can't burn DVDs right now, I'm not going to cry too much about it.

The screen is beautiful, the form factor is impressive, and It's run flawlessly; installed Panther as soon as it was available, and in all that time, I have not had one single crash. Granted I don't use classic much on this 'book, but still, that's pretty impressive to me. I've run permission fixes a couple of times but that was just for regular maintenance. I love this machine.

Right now they're selling for $1,100 to $1,200 on ebay, although if you've got the money I recommend going for a higher-speed processor (I'm a cheap bast- I mean, frugal guy, so I didn't want to part with more money :-)