20040205
As a youth I was taken to meet Jimmy Hoffa by an older friend. They had
grown up together and worked together in their youth. They had gone their
separate ways in terms of business but remained friends. I saw the sign on
his desk, in Latin, and asked what it meant. He replied: "Don't let the
bastards wear you down." The English stuck with me but not the Latin.
The friend who took me was a successful businessman who told me that no
matter what anyone said, he thought Jimmy Hoffa was a great man, that Hoffa
had taken teamsters from being treated like scum by the employers and turned
the job into a way to make a good living. My friend believed it would never
have happened but for Hoffa.
Bruce
----

Caution. Good sentiment but caution. I'm in the restaurant business and have exposure to owners of various ethnic derivations many of whom are reputed to have organized crime connections.

They are charming people but I have no illusions, and I do NOT admire them.

Jimmy Hoffa may well have helped the Teamsters but at what price to their reputation? Remember the Faustian "bargain".

To bring it back to computers...we seem to have come into an era of low inflation and real bargains in technology, and in fact we seem to get more and pay less all the time. But is anyone really satisfied with the state of tech support these days, for example? Something has to give and it's usually US.

Oh, BTW, I had 3 years of HSchool Latin, 2 were under a lovely lady named Mrs Aldridge who had a masters from Columbia and studied under Moses Hadas, foremost Latin scholar of the last century. Now you cannot find the mother language on the course list in many schools.

JMHO,
Tanglewood Ordinary Restaurant
True FamilyStyle Dining since 1986
On the National Register of Historic Places & the Virginia Landmarks Register
Anne & Jim Hardwick, Proprietors
2210 River Road West
Maidens, VA 23102-2705
WWW.ORDINARY.COM
Telephone 804-556-3284
PDF files welcome via e mail in lieu of fax
804-556-4432 (personal & emergencies)