I recently got a Toshiba 60GB and installed it in my Pismo (which has
been out of action for a while - another story...). I was going to
install MacOS X.2.3 Jaguar onto it (DVD in the Pismo's DVD/CDROM drive),
and it started up okay. But, it doesn't recognize any other drive besides
the install disc.

So I figured I needed to start up with my original Pismo (9.0.4) install
or restore CDROM(s). However, when I try to boot up with either of those,
I get as far as the startup screen and it freezes about there (at least,
the drive stops spinning, the pointer isn't visible and I get no response
from moving the trackpad, clicking the mousepad button, etc.).
Occasionally, I get a bus error message and a choice to Restart (but
clicking on that button doesn't do anything, and I have to do the
three-finger salute to restart.

I have an external FireWire/USB case with my Pismo's old 10GB drive (and
9.0.4 instaled on it), but I get no further than the startup screen with
that - not sure if it's completely recognizing/loading the system files
from that. Is there a keyboard command to force the Pismo to start with
the OS on the Firewire drive (or would I be better off trying to use the
USB cable instead?)?

Getting frustrated and hoping there's a way to figure how to get things
resolved (short of a big expensive bill for sending it off).

TIA,

Jim Rohde

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in
human history....
     with the possible exception of handguns and Irish whiskey.