OK, now I've upgraded my internal 2.5" hard drive on my Powerbook G3 (bronze keyboard/Lombard-333 mhz) from its original 4 GB to 40. Despite one person's prediction that this Fujitsu ATA-6 drive would not work, surprisingly it works flawlessly, so now it's on to my next task, that of increasing the RAM.

Currently, I have 192 MB of RAM (DIMM), with 128 J1/upper socket, and 64 on the J3/lower (low profile) socket. Before I replace the 64 RAM card in the lower socket, I want to make sure it's wise to do this, with regard to heat generation, etc. I occasionally hear the whirring up of what must be a cooling fan in this machine, and I think its design is great with regard to heat dissipation, at least at this 192 RAM level.

Apple supports a maximum of 384 MB of RAM for this G3, which I surmise is 256 in the upper slot and 128 in the bottom slot (?), but GURU claims 1024 as the maximum, or 528 MB in each socket. Also, the various Internet site sellers of RAM recommend separate RAM modules for the Pismo versus the Lombard/Wallstreet, whereas once again GURU does not differentiate, listing the same high- and low-profile module as fitting various G3 models, for example, PB2K-528, PB2K-256, etc.

So my bottom-line question: Is it wise or risky replacing the bottom socket low profile 64 MB module in my Lombard with a 528 MB unit, or should I be more convervative and replace it with a 256 unit?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Greenfield Bowie