On 5/24/04, Clark Martin wrote:

>At 3:39 PM -0500 5/24/04, macnifico wrote:
>>Hello, fellow listers!
>>
>>I'm waiting for a WS 300 MHz with a 12 Mb HD.
>>Do I have to partition the HD into a 8 Mb and a 4 Mb partition if I
>>want to install OS X.2 & OS 9.2.1?
>
>Well, hopefully you'll get a 12Gb disk instead of a 12Mb disk :)
>
>Yes, the first partition will have to be 8Gb or less.  It makes the
>most sense to be 8Gb.  12Gb will work for OS X and 9 but you might
>want to consider getting something larger so you have plenty of room
>to grow in.

As was pointed out by Bob, you actually want to set the first partition
slightly smaller than 8 GB (like 7.83GB or something a bit smaller than
an actual 8GB). But I'm with Clark that if you can afford a bigger drive,
go for it!

On 5/24/04, Bob wrote:

>I don't how other list members will feel about it. But I would
>suggest installing OS 9.2.2 on the second partition (see below
>regarding the first partition). That way you will be able to boot you
>PB from different partitions, which can be handy in a number of
>situations (i.e. you can't repair a boot partition).
>
>If you do decide to install OS 9 on the second partition, **be sure**
>to tell Disk Utility to install OS 9 drivers when you format and
>partition your drive.

And I'd second Bob's suggestion - I have my second partition set for OS 9
(with OS 9 drivers on it), for the reasons he gave. Amazing how quickly
these drives start filling up...

Jim Rohde