Ok, Still have issues with airport and 802.11 on some open networks.

It's likely a combo of broken Apple stuff, and a version of Windows server stuff, but I'm tired of being punished by this.

My PDA can get online everywhere, my powerbook 1400 can get online everywhere, my nice AlBook cannot. Tested this repeatedly at the problem locations.

If I get a USB 802.11 adapter, will I bypass some of the airport stuff and just connect?

I have my little wireless D-Link DWL-G730AP that I can hook up to the ethernet jack, and THAT works. But it's a little more of a pain to config when going from place to place. But If I have to haul that huge, matchbook-sized dongle with me :) I can do it.

Suggestions welcome re: hardware. I really feel done re: help troubleshooting networking, please :) It's real, and it's not something I can change, it's certain versions of server-side stuff that breaks the Apple side (or the Apple side isn't compliant too, I don't know)- but when XP, 9.1, PalmOS 5.0.3, and a Newton Messagepad can be configured to connect to an open network, and my 10.4 machine cannot, it's not my skills at wireless configs that is the issue...

Thanks,

Brian