On Feb 14, 2006, at 11:41 AM, Harry Corsover wrote:

On Feb 14, 2006, at 11:09 AM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

Ours score in three levels: not spam, Spammish and Definitely Spam.

DefinitelySpam (scoring, iirc, > 15, where we've set a score of 4+ means Spam) goes right into the bit bucket. No way should a legitimate e-mail look like that.

Spammish, 4-15, gets sent through to the client. We flag the Subject line with ***SPAM*** to make it easy to sort out, and set the X-Spam-Status=Yes

I don't know your ISP or your system,

We are our own ISP, which is incredibly convenient. We're using SpamAssasin <http://spamassassin.apache.org/> to do our filtering.

but I do know that in my business, I talk with people (who have posted their resume on Monster.com, for instance) on the phone, then send them information if they're interested. The Subject reads "Business Information from Harry Corsover" and the body is short, giving them my business web site and confirming the time we've arranged for a follow-up phone call. I don't use my email signature in those emails.

Yet, fairly often, these wind up filtered out or labeled as spam, and my prospect or potential customer never sees the email.

This is the part they get wrong...they're just deleting or making the mail difficult to access if it's marked spam. Our approach is to send along anything that could possibly be marginal, just label it as spam. This is the approach we've taken, it's made e-mail far more usable for our users. A sizeable chunk of spam does flow to the end user, to be trapped by their junk filters.

This multi-layered approach has worked well for us.

This, to me, is unacceptable, since by no reasonable definition is my email spam. And this costs me time and money.

Without knowing HOW the other end is filtering the e-mails, I couldn't tell you. I do know that OUR system puts all the details in the mail headers: