On Feb 20, 2006, at 2:32 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

At 4:13 PM -0600 02/20/2006, Jared Noska wrote:

None of Apple's OS X internet-based applications (like Mail, Safari,
Software Update) work on the internet. Yet, the network repair utility
thing in 10.4 says everything is fine.

I've reinstalled 10.4 to no avail, yet works in OS 9. I tried Netscape in
OS X - same story as Safari. I wonder if Firefox would be any better?

Ok.  Dig deeper.

Are you able to reliably translate domain names to IP addresses? Use the Network Utility to test this, repeatedly.

- Dan.

I had a similar thing hapen last year with OS 10.3.9.... eventually I had to reinstall the entire operating system... never found out what caused it... happened on the internal drive AND an external firewire drive.... 4 times over a two week span! Our best guess is that one of the cats torqued the case while it was running (12 lbs of cat on a 17" case supported by the pins of a 12" laptop stand) and caused a motherboard problem that resulted in system level data damage... was visible in a DiskWarrior graph and always in approximately the same places.

Sandra Ragan
www.plumdigital.com

Knowledge is a rare thing -- you gain by giving it away.
—Ivan Sutherland