    Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:05:56 -0500
    From: Stephen Goranson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Subject: [ANE] Qumran
      To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thank you, Joe Zias, for helping to clarify the data from the Qumran cemetery.
Your Dead Sea Discoveries 7 (2000) 220-253 article is a fine contribution to
learning on this subject.

Now, if I understand corectly--and perhaps I do not; we await publication--in
addition to your research, we now have, or soon will have, more data from the
Y. Magen, Y. Peleg, Y. Nagar et al. Qumran excavation. You wrote that they
excavated some Qumran cemetery burials. And that in each case--lets say, for
conversation's sake, nine, then reinterred--the physical anthropologist Y.
Nagar determined that each North-South burial was a single, ancient, adult,
male. And that each East-West burial was a later, Bedouin, burial. *If* that
turns out to be the case, then it would provide strong evidence favoring your
DSD article thesis, in my opinion.

Someone impertinently wrote that the bones did not have the name "Essene" on
them.

Yet the name "Essenes" does appear in some of the Qumran manuscripts, found in
the Dead Sea "northwest shore" area, just as C. D. Ginsburg in 1870 read Pliny.
Of course, "Essenes" does not appear in the scrolls in English, nor in any of
the many Greek spellings, including Ossaioi, but in the Hebrew original
self-designation, recognized by several scholars before 1948 (bibliography on
request) and by several scholars after 1948: 'osey hatorah, observers of torah,
a self-designation that some other sects, unlike some Stoic philosophers,
naturally refused to use for them.

best,
Stephen Goranson

----- End forwarded message -----