Context related, MLH (col 3.8;11) seems to be rather an area than a (Salomonic) location.

_Dierk

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Washburn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <g-megillot@McMaster.ca>
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2005 11:24 PM
Subject: Re: SV: [Megillot] Allegro on the Copper Scroll

Most informative. I have some homework to do :-) Thanks, both to you and to
Dr. Hogenhaven.

On Thursday 14 April 2005 01:43, Søren Holst wrote:
Dave,

I took the liberty of forwarding your mail to my friend and colleague dr.
J. Høgenhaven, who is the one I usually turn to with paleographic puzzles
-- he happens to be working on the Copper Scroll at present. Here is his
answer.

all the best Søren

Distinguishing between the letters he and het does, in fact, pose
considerable problems, as far as the Copper Scroll is concerned. The
problem is not limited to 3Q15 but reflects the type of script used here,
the type described by F. Cross as a "Herodian vulgar semiformal" script.
This is found in a number of Q documents and frequently in inscriptions. He
and het are here often practically indistinguishable, both being made with
a doubly "looped" upper crossbar. This form is sometimes simplified, but
there is not necessarily a fixed pattern for simplifying the form, enabling
the reader to distinguish properly between he and het. In the case of 3Q15,
the problems may be reinforced by the special requirements of the material,
and by the fact that a craftsman rather than a scribe may have undertaken
the actual engraving of the letters. The person (or persons) who engraved
the letters could have been illiterate, simply copying from a master text.
This assumption is supported by the fact that it is also in a number of
cases difficult to distinguish between bet and kap, dalet and resh, in
3Q15. One look at, say, the last column of 3Q15, will show the variety of
forms used for he and het: In col. XII, l. 1, we find a he in the first
word (zhb), but compare the het in the last line of the column (first word
'hd) and the initial .he in the last word of line 1. See also the het in
line 2 (first word tht) and the he in line 3 (first word bhr). A well-known
case of this problem affecting the interpretation is col. III, lines 8 and
11, where Milik identifies the biblical place-name mlh ("Milloh", with a
he), whilst others read mlhm (with a het). DJD III (Milik's edition of
3Q15) includes a section on the palaeography of the document, written by
Cross.