Greg,

The only ceramic evidence actually securely associated with dates of
interments I know of is "end of the second or the beginning of the
first century B.C.E." (Magen and Peleg, p. 98 in the Galor, Humbert, and
Zangenburg volume [2006]).

I would even even doubt the validity of that dating. Although I only have a photocopy of the article the jars appear to be typical to the Hasmonean 2 (85/75 - 31 BCE) period in Jericho. (Surely they are either Rachel's SJ3 or SJ4A1?).

And for Joe to claim the
"relative geological and cultural isolation" of Qumran ignores the fact that it shares the same geology and culture as the large contemporary site at Jericho only 13 km away. Like Joe I cared little "about Qumran, could not read the scrolls
nor understand the arguments surrounding them", but when I looked at the archaeology of the site having spent ten long seasons excavating in Jericho (and, inter alia, Cypros, Herodium, Masada) the similarities were far more numerous than the differences.

g-Megillot mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://mailman.McMaster.CA/mailman/listinfo/g-megillot