  From: Jeffrey B. Gibson
  To: Suter, David
  Cc: g-megillot
  Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2007 4:23 PM
  Subject: Re: [Megillot] Satan and Belial Offline

  "Suter, David" wrote:

    Jeffrey,

    Good point.  Check out the discussion of the Vision/Testament of Amram, the
4Q544 reference I sent you, in Robert Eisenmann and Michael Wise, The Dead Sea
Scrolls Uncovered.  As I recall they argue for a three name set of equivalences
for both the good and the bad watcher in that passage, but its entirely
possible that they don't make Satan one of the equivalences for Melchi Resha.
    Apart from Jubileees, the term satan is never used as a proper name in the
DSS.  In the two times it appears it is used as a common noun.  Cf. 11QPsa
19.15.

    What do you make of the linguistic similarity between Satan and Mastema?
Note the latter in Jubilees, and check the Eisenmann-Wise volume for references
to the Angels of Mastemoth.
    Yes, Satan and Mastema have the same root and the identification of Satan
with Mastema in Jubiless 10 seems to be a pun on that fact.  But note that in
the DSS -- apart from Jubilees - the word mastema is never accompanied as it is
in Jubilees with the title "Prince" and is never used as a name.  And note too
the evidence found in 4Q225 (4QpsJub-a) that Mastema is distinguished from
Belial at Qumran :

    13. The Prince of the Mastemah                  was bound (or: bind) on
[account of them. The angels of holiness were [           ]
    14. the Prince of the Ma[s]temah. Belial listened to [the Prince of the
Mastemah (?) ]

    Does Satan ever become the Prince of Evil in Jewish tradition?  I've worked
on Pirke de Rabbi Eliezer, and there the "Satan" role is taken by Sama'el, the
angel of death.

  According to Bamberger, he does not at least up through the Talmudic period.
He is a Servant of God.
  See how he is praised in Baba Batra.

  Jeffrey
  --