Hi there,

I have been trying every disk image application out there. I can't get this system to load any imaging software. I have used Symantec Ghost, I tried several other items. Eventually I ran across G4U which seems like a great app. However, it cannot see the hard disk. I can't run a baseline WinXP Open license install on the machine, nor properly install the linux OS Ubuntu.

I was able to install CentOS on the machine without any problems. HP provided the below article which seems to create a slipstream WinXP install. Do you know if the info below would help you to modify G4U to work with this notebook (perhaps explain hardware used, reference to other hardware drivers)? I am going to attempt to perform the below actions with BartPE and Ghost 8.3, but would love to start using G4U. The mechanisms used to clone a drive seem perfect.

Ken W

Issue:  SATA drivers need to be installed in order for hard drive to be seen by Windows XP Boot CD or RIS image.
Solution: The information below if for use in integrating the Intel SATA mass storage drivers into the Windows XP operating system. Once integrated, the version of the OS created can be used to create a bootable installation CD or a RIS image. However, these steps are not covered in this document.

These steps are specific for installing the SATA controller drivers for use during installation of Windows XP w/SP2 onto an NX9420, NW9440, or NC/NX 6300 series notebook.  The same procedure can be followed for computers using another SATA controller, but  much of the driver-specific information will need to be changed. If a customer is installing a third party controller, it is recommended they contact the manufacturer of that controller for proper support.

WHATS NEEDED:
1. Windows XP with Service Pack 2 Installation CD
2. Blank CD-R or CD-RW
3. SP32478.exe (For Intel ICH7M mass storage drivers. Drivers will vary by chipset.)
4. Floppy Disk

HOW TO:
1. Extract your Windows XP w/SP2 to your hard drive in a file folder Windows XP CD (C:\xpsetupcd).
2. Create a subfolder of C:\xpsetupcd called $OEM$. Then, create a subfolder of $OEM$ called $1 and a subfolder of $1 called drivers. The resulting path should be C:\xpsetupcd\$OEM$\$1\drivers. Then create subfolder called SATA and copy the drivers to this folder, to end up with C:\xpsetupcd\$OEM$\$1\drivers\SATA.
3. Download SP32478 For Intel AHCI Storage Controller drivers (ICH7M).
4. Execute the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to create an F6 storage driver installation floppy. .
5. Copy the files from the floppy disk to the folder you created (C:\xpsetupcd\$OEM$\$1\drivers\SATA)
6. Copy the IASTOR.SYS from the floppy disk  to the i386 directory of your new windows installation (C:\xpsetupcd\i386).
7. Open the TXTSETUP.SIF located in your new Windows installation folder  (C:\xpsetupcd \i386\txtsetup.sif)
Locate the following categories and input the corresponding text into that category. When you are done, save the file and close it.

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106 = "iastor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104 = "iastor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_0106 = "iastor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0104 = "iastor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0106 = "iastor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2653&CC_0106 = "iastor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DF&CC_0104 = "iastor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_25B0&CC_0104 = "iastor"

[SourceDisksFiles]
iastor.sys = 1,,,,,,_x,4,1

[SCSI.Load]
iastor = iastor.sys,4

[SCSI]
iaStor_ICH7DH = "Intel(R) 82801GR/GH SATA RAID Controller (Desktop ICH7R/DH)"
iaAHCI_ICH7R = "Intel(R) 82801GR/GH SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop ICH7R/DH)"
iaAHCI_ICH7M = "Intel(R) 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile  ICH7M)"
iaStor_ICH6R = "Intel(R) 82801FR SATA RAID Controller (Desktop ICH6R)"
iaAHCI_ICH6R = "Intel(R) 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop ICH6R)"
iaAHCI_ICH6M = "Intel(R) 82801FBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile  ICH6M)"
iaStor_ICH5R = "Intel(R) 82801ER SATA RAID Controller (Desktop ICH5R)"
iaStor_ICH5RHR = "Intel(R) 6300ESB SATA RAID Controller"
iastor = "Intel(R) 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile  ICH7M)"

10. Create a file called WINNT.SIF in the i386 folder of our Windows setup files (C:\xpsetupcd\i386). This file can be used to create an unattended installation routine.

11. Copy the following lines into WINNT.SIF and save the file.

 [Data]
AutoPartition=0
MsDosInitiated=”0”
UnattendedInstall=”Yes”
[Unattended]
UnattendMode=ProvideDefault
OemPreinstall=Yes
OemSkipEula=Yes
NoWaitAfterTextMode=1
NoWaitAfterGUIMode=1
WaitForReboot=”No”
TargetPath=\WINDOWS
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
OemPnPDriversPath="drivers\SATA"
[GuiUnattended]
OEMSkipWelcome = 1
[UserData]
ProductKey=
FullName=”“
OrgName=””

12. You are now finished with creating the file for your image. Now use your CD burning utility to burn a Windows XP with SP2/SATA driver boot image, or use the files created to make RIS image for network installation.