On Fri, 25 Dec 2009, Brian Hoard wrote:
> When I normally clone disk to disk, using copydisk, I will get a 80Gb
> drive cloned in less than 30 minutes.
> But when doing the ftp method, it took over 6 hours to do a 230 Gb disk.
> Does this sound normal? I'm on a Gigabit network, but didn't do any disk
> zero-ing, or duplex setting stuff.
> I'm not quite sure how that is done.  Considering the 230 Gb disk is
> roughly 3 times the 80 Gb, cloning it in about 3 hours would sound right.
> Add to that time the extra processing to compress the data (the final
> image is 56Gb), maybe 6 hours is understandable/normal?
>
> If there is anything I should do differently to improve performance,
> please let me know.

That's hard to tell without knowing what the limiting factors are:
what is your disk & speed on both ends,
what is the networkin speed on both ends,
what is the CPU speed on both ends?
Each of this has an impact in the process, and one or the other may be the
limiting factor.

Taking a calculator and your above numbers, my guess is that disk speed
for reading, CPU speed for compressing and maybe the FTP server end are
the limiting factors. YMMV.

About your other question WRT donating:
You can godo www.paypal.com and send money to pay...@feyrer.de, that's
just fine. Thanks a lot!