I have a system with both ethernet and wireless interfaces. I want to upload
via ethernet, but the wireless is configured as the primary connection.
Ifconfig ath0 down kills all networking, and setting a new default gateway
did not allow me to transfer over the ethernet connection.

Can I prevent the wireless from starting at boot? Alternatively, how do I
disable the wireless interface and configure networking to use the ehernet
connection?

I've tried deleting all routes pertaining to the wireless interface, and
setting an appropriate gateway for the ethernet interface, but I get a not
connected message.