It's pretty much what I was looking for, but in this case I'd
rather pay for a commercial solution.

On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 08:56 -0700, "Michael D. Setzer II"
<mi...@kuentos.guam.net> wrote:

It has been a while since I've worked with g4u, so am not sure if
it has this option. I am the maintainer of g4l, and it has a
local option in addition to the network (ftp) option for making
and restoring images.

The latest released version is on sourceforge, but I've been
working on a newer version that includes some additional kernels
and some cosmetic updates to the scripts.

ftp://amd64gcc.dyndns.org/g4l-v0.34alpha25.iso

In my classroom, I have machines with 160GB disks, and have set
them up with basically this setup.

40GB XP

300MB BOOT

40GB ROOT

Extended partition

  2GB Swap

  Rest of Disk as /dev/sda6

I can created images or copy images made on the ftp server to
this /dev/sda6 partition, and then restore them quickly with no
network traffic.

Have a script on one machine that can ssh to all the other
machines and itself into the running linux, and then run a script
to reimage the XP from these files in about 12 minutes.

So, not sure if that is what you are looking at or not.