I only need g4u once or twice a decade.

Currently, I have a couple of Lenovo laptops a Lenovo T440 running
Linuxmint 18.1 and a T520 running Linuxmint 17.2.

I've downloaded MD5 (g4u-2.5.iso) = 75aeeda141c26f6dc4e68d3b69366669 and
checked the md5sum.

I've tried installing it on a USB drive using dd, USB Image Writer, and
UNetbootin. I have not succeeded in getting the USB to boot on either
laptop. Sometimes it returns to the bios boot menu. Sometimes it complains
about a corrupt kernel.

I tried falling back to g4u 1.17. I can't get it to boot either. There is
no md5sum to compare to on the website.

Is there Secure Boot voodoo I need to deal with?

--
I don't remember, I don't recall
I got no memory of anything at all