Feature Requests item #1230693, was opened at 2005-06-30 22:21
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350235&aid=1230693&group_id=235

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Currently several IM services support an "other side is
typing" indicator of some sort in the recipient's chat
window.  This helps solve the ambiguity between an
iminent response and no activity, but I propose
something even more useful...

What if the indicator also showed the running word
and/or character count of what was being typed on the
other end?

This solves another kind of ambiguity -- where the
sender has typed something but then thought better of
it and deleted their text or closed the window
altogether.  Without a wordcount indication, the
recipient sees just a typing indicator and then waits
and waits but nothing happens.  With the wordcount
indicator they'd see the count go up, then back down to
zero and would know not to expect a message.

Also a wordcount indicator would help the recipient be
patient when the sender is writing those marathon IM's
since they would have some reassurance that indeed
progress is being made..

Unfortunately being that Gaim is an integrator and thus
you won't necessarily have Gaim on both ends of the
connection, I don't know how possible it would be to
implement this kind of extension.  Maybe this feature
would only work when both sender and recipient are
using Gaim...

Comment By: Luke Schierer (lschiere)