Feature Requests item #1120358, was opened at 2005-02-10 16:36
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350235&aid=1120358&group_id=235

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Consider this: most people who use GAIM do so in order
to gather all their contacts together in one place.
Now, most people have contact networks, so they end up
sharing a bunch of contacts.  But it remains awkward to
share contact lists, and awkward to maintain these
lists over time.

A missing feature of IM is the ability to share a
group, purely for the sake of contact management.
Group sharing would require an owner and a globally
unique name.  The group owner would decide on who is in
the group and respond to add/remove requests.  This
would be hugely beneficial for IM lists within
companies, and among friend networks.

The group could show up in the GUI the same way a
regular group does.  At any time a group should be
shareable/manageable.

For infrastructure you have a couple of options:

1) you might be looking at a central server to hold
group memberships.  It would give GAIM a big push if
the project had the resources to put up a central group
server, otherwise yahoo, aol and others would have to
handle it, and have access to those lists.  Doing this
before they get involved would help keep that info private.

2) a p2p alternative would be to have the groups cached
by the clients; when the client sees the group owner
sign in, it could request group replication.

hope this idea is worth pursuing,

Bruce

Comment By: Luke Schierer (lschiere)