Feature Requests item #1233890, was opened at 2005-07-06 21:01
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350235&aid=1233890&group_id=235

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
I can't seem to add the following buddy to my gaim
list: jrobinsonIMS7308

When I try to add this buddy I get a popup window with
the title "Unable To Add" and the body of the dialog
box (with a Close button) says:

"Could not add buddy jrobinsonIMS7308 because the
screen name is invalid. Screen names must either start
with a letter and contain only letters, numbers and
spaces, or contain only numbers."

However in the dialog box you can see a space between
the 8 and the word "because". Check the attached file
for a display.

I found the problem! I am cutting/pasting the buddy
name from Thunderbird. I'm cutting pasting by just
doing double-click on the word. It seems it's picking
up something at the end that I can't see.

I would suggest that the window that's taking the buddy
name ignore white spaces and control characters that
might appear at the beginning/end of the name. It's
quite confusing since the message looks ok and the
buddy name looks ok, yet you still get that popup window.

Comment By: Luke Schierer (lschiere)