Hi Paul

A simple solution, which we use quite a lot, is the following:

we use the "dynamic_options" attribute, eg:

 <inputs>
    <param name="foo" type="select" label="what"
       help="Use tickboxes to select "
       display="radio"
       dynamic_options="ds_fooOptions()"/>
  </inputs>
  <outputs>
    <data format="fasta" name="output" label="more foo" />

  </outputs>
  <code file="extra_code_for_foo_list.py" />
   <help>
   </help>

 </tool>

and then we have a little python script ("extra_code_for_foo_list.py") with the "ds_fooOptions" function, which can read your file (ie your list of databases), eg

def ds_fooOptions():
    """List available foos as tuples of (displayName,value)"""
    foos = <whatever python code is required to generate the tuples>
    return foos

I hope this helps, Hans