Hi John

Looks like nobody has replied so far.....hence, I present once again our quick-and-dirty solution for this:

We use the "dynamic_options" attribute, eg:

  <inputs>
     <param name="foo" type="select" label="what"
           help="Use tickboxes to select "
           display="radio"
           dynamic_options="ds_fooOptions()"/>
   </inputs>
   <outputs>
     <data format="fasta" name="output" label="more foo" />

   </outputs>
   <code file="extra_code_for_foo_list.py" />
    <help>
    </help>

  </tool>

and then we have a little python script ("extra_code_for_foo_list.py")
with the "ds_fooOptions" function, eg

def ds_fooOptions():
     """List available foos as tuples of (displayName,value)"""
     foos = <whatever python code is required to generate the tuples
     return foos>

In our case, we have some python code reading the contents of a directory, and the providing the file names which pass a certain regular expression. It shouldn't be a problem to get the list of items from a database instead.

I hope this helps, Hans