On Dec 9, 2011, at 4:34 PM, Josh Nielsen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a question which I have not seen specifically addressed in the online
> Galaxy wiki documentation about how to integrate tools (dependencies) into
> Galaxy. I have implemented a locally managed instance of Galaxy that my
> business is using with our cluster and now have a freshly installed and
> configured instance of Galaxy running. It is bare-bones right now and I did
> not use mercurial to sync any existing files/directory structures. I have
> seen the page on external tool dependencies
> (http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Tools/Tool%20Dependencies) needed for
> Galaxy, but I am somewhat unsure where to place the tools to utilize them as
> intended (other than through trial & error).
>
> It appears that there are shell directories for the tools under
> ~/galaxy-dist/tools/ with basic wrapper scripts but without the corresponding
> executables (very few that I've noticed have the tools already in them). Is
> the intent to download the dependency tools and (building from source if
> necessary) take the binaries in those directories and copy them to their
> corresponding directory under ~/galaxy-dist/tools/? This seems to have worked
> with an error I first got when clipping a FASTQ file which reported that
> fastx_clipper was not a recognized command. So I downloaded the FASTX
> Toolkit, compiled the binaries, and copied only the binaries into the
> corresponding fastx tools directory. Would I do the same thing for TopHat and
> Cufflinks by taking all their binaries (combined) and copying them into
> ~/galaxy-dist/tools/ngs_rna/?

Hi Josh,

There are two ways to do this.  The simplest is to place the binaries into a
directory on the Galaxy user's $PATH.  The second is via the tool dependency
system, which I need to write up documentation for to put in the wiki, which
I'll do this week.

> Even if that is the case though, I have occasionally gotten errors about
> tools missing in completely different directories. One was for the FASTQ
> Groomer. One user saw this error in their browser (which for now is the only
> way I know to figure out where tools are *expected* to be):
>
> File "/home/galaxy/galaxy-dist/tools/rgenetics/rgFastQC.py", line 141, in
> assert os.path.isfile(opts.executable),'##rgFastQC.py error - cannot find
> executable %s' % opts.executable AssertionError: ##rgFastQC.py error - cannot
> find executable /home/galaxy/galaxy-dist/tool-data/shared/jars/FastQC/fastqc

Java JARs are a special case, and FastQC has a unique way of locating its jars,
which is why it is expected to be found in that directory.  This needs to be
documented.

> To fix this I downloaded the FastQC tar file from its webpage, unzipped it,
> and copied the fastqc binary/script to the
> "home/galaxy/galaxy-dist/tool-data/shared/jars/FastQC/" directory. I also had
> to mkdir FastQC/ under jars/ to place it there since it didn't already exist.
> Had I not been told the specific directory by the error I'm not sure how I
> would have intuitively known to place the binary there (unless I'm
> overlooking some critical documentation). And how do I know that other
> similar things are not missing which should be there? Can anyone shed some
> light on this please? Adding a brief page on the Galaxy wiki site under the
> Admin section about this would really help, even if it only showed an example
> for one or two specific tools.

The list of external dependencies by tool is maintained here:

http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Tools/Tool%20Dependencies

I'll update this page with links to the new documentation when I write it.  I
should also add that work is under way to make it possible to automatically
install these dependencies as needed.

--nate