On Jan 9, 2012, at 2:38 PM, Ryan Golhar wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Ryan Golhar <ngsbioinformat...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> This indicates that set_meta is running locally, in the runner process.  Can
> you make sure there's not a typo in your config?  The other possibility is
> that external metadata setting failed and it's being retried internally (if
> that was true, you'd see messages indicated such in the server log).
>
> I'm pretty sure there isn't a typo.  Here is anything meta related (with
> comment lines removed) in my universe_wsgi.*.ini files:
>
> [galaxy@bic galaxy-dist]$ grep set_meta *.ini
> universe_wsgi.ini:set_metadata_externally = True
> universe_wsgi.runner.ini:set_metadata_externally = True
> universe_wsgi.webapp.ini:set_metadata_externally = True
>
> [galaxy@bic galaxy-dist]$ grep meta *.ini
> universe_wsgi.ini:set_metadata_externally = True
> universe_wsgi.runner.ini:set_metadata_externally = True
> universe_wsgi.webapp.ini:set_metadata_externally = True
>
> I just tried it again on some BAM files, and nothing comes up in
> /var/log/messages or /var/log/httpd/error_log.  Runner0.log also doesn't show
> anything except for the upload job being completed.
>

> I'm still trying to track this one down.  Can I add a debug output string to
> show what the value of set_metadata_externally is when its read in?  If so,
> where would I do this?

Hi Ryan,

You could check it in lib/galaxy/config.py, after it's read.  By any chance,
are you using galaxy-central vs. galaxy-dist?  It's possible that due to a bug
I recently fixed and a certain combination of options, metadata for BAMs would
always fail externally and be retried internally, although you should still see
log messages indicating that this has happened.

--nate